BibleWorks has just announced a free update for BW10 users to add Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible (EDB, 2000) to their BW library. Further, they added a new Dictionary tab in the Analysis Window so that as you move your mouse over English text, if there is a matching entry in the dictionary, it will immediately appear.
|Here you can see how the Dictionary tab works as you mouse over a word in an English version text. Do note that the linking is a bit indiscriminate. Mousing over "not" in an English text will bring up the entry for "Not my people"|
The EDB is a well respected one-volume dictionary that sells for $40US on Amazon, so it is remarkable that BW is offering it for free to existing BW10 users.
As for the dictionary, it features (from its own description):
- Nearly 5,000 entries explain every book, person, place, significant event, and distinctive term or expression found in the Bible
- Written by nearly 600 respected authorities in the field of biblical scholarship
- Includes 112 informative charts and photos and a 12-page section of color maps
- Supplementary aids include lists of abbreviations, pronunciation guide, transliteration key, and concise bibliographies to guide further research
- Entries cover the Deuterocanonicals as well as the Hebrew and New Testament scriptures
- Based on the New Revised Standard version of the Bible, with attention given to alternate readings in other major translations